Places to visit
The Town Hall square
Kaunas defence wall
Kaunas fortress (XIX century)
Kaunas modernism architecture
Kaunas officers' house
Kaunas Botanical garden
Kaunas panorama view
Following tracks of Napoleon
Kaunas railway tunnel
You will find remains of
Kaunas defensive wall
and tower near Laisves avenue, on the right side of Kaunas State Musical Theatre (Laisvės 91).
Lithuanian Grand Duke and Polish King
John II Casimir Vasa
in privilegy for Kaunas town (issued in 1655) indicated to built defense wall.
Construction of the wall began in the first half of the 17th century (was first mentioned in 1666). The wall consisted of stone or wooden walls. Stone towers were installed in the corners. The wall was 6-7 m in height .
The locals complained about frequent robber attacks and this is the main reason why the decision to build the wall was made.
The eastern part of Kaunas was surrounded by the wall in the 18th century. It had two gates one of which was the Vilnius gate and another one was the Tatar gate. It also had two towers.
The remains of the wall consist of a fragment of the wall and the Miller tower (another tower located near the Tatar gate was demolished in 1894). It is the southern tower of the wall. The northern part of the wall and another tower were destroyed in 1893. The southern tower was abandoned, but was partially reconstructed in 1966.
It was reconstructed once again at the end of the 20th century. The Miller tower houses a restaurant in these days (the restaurant was opened in 2013).
Copyright © 2017 Darius Krasauskas,